Monday, August 3, 2009

Weekend

Saturday I met Chris at his house for a 7 mile warm up and a 4 mile race (full moon 4 miler). We basically ran from Chris's house to the start/finish line of the race at a nice and comfortable 7:45 pace. When we've done warm-ups like this in the past the race results have been good, so we were hoping that this race would follow the same outcome.

So race time! In summary there were a lot of "kids" (high school and college) and the first mile was all hills. Heck, the starting line was even on a hill, so I knew the first mile was going to be a little more challenging than the rest. My initial approach to the race was to let the "kids" kill themselves on the hills and then pick them off after mile 1. Well, the hills were a little easier than expected; at least for me. Mile 1 I hung in there with the top pack and cruised through mile 1 at 5:20. After mile 1 it was all downhill or flat. I positioned myself into 4th place going into mile 2 at 10:45 and was feeling pretty good. Mile 3 I was in the same position running about a 5:30 mile (can't remember what the split was). But going into mile 4 a 16 year old passed me up telling me to keep it up and to run in with him. I told him I was "old", encouraged him to get the other guys and then decided to keep it at the pace I was going. Mile 4 was a lot like mile 3; 5:30 range. I crossed the finish line with a 21:50 and 5th overall. Before the race I set my goal at 22:18, so I was 28 seconds ahead of that.

http://www.wisconsinrunner.com/results/2009FMOVERALL.HTM

So our theory of a longer warm up still provides positive results. Chris also beat his expected time. Granted a fast, flat and downhill 3 miles helps, but I think there's something said about a relaxing and long warm-up.

If anyone is looking for a great run that's run in a smaller town, but has great community support I would advise doing the full moon 4 miler. The RD had everything covered and the community really embraced the event.

Sunday - I took the day off, but got in a 12 mile bike ride with Tanya. The legs needed a little break. I have to say, though, the Achilles feels good. No issues on Saturday and the twinge I've been having isn't there.

Miles this week - 0
Miles this month - 11
Days thus far in the month - 2
Days ran this month - 1
Days off this month -1
Miles this year - 1646.7
Miles in the month of January - 241 (Average 7.77 miles per day)
Miles in the month of February - 205.5 (Average 7.34 miles per day)
Miles in the month of March - 267 (Average 8.61 miles per day)
Miles in the month of April - 271.7 (Average 9.06 miles per day)
Miles in the month of May - 190.3 (Average 6.14 miles per day - Marathon month)
Miles in the month of June - 211.7 (Average 7.06 miles per day)
Miles in the month of July - 248.5 (Average 8.02 miles per day)

No comments: