Saturday, July 23, 2011

Long run

Today started out well, but after 13 miles I started to putter. The legs weren't too bad, but the heat just killed me. I ended up filling my water bottle 5 times and at each stop I had to wring my shirt out; rain, heat and humidity made for a pretty sweaty run.

So today's effort was an 18 mile run. I woke up at 5:30, grabbed 3 pieces of bread and put peanut butter and jelly on them. I was out the door by 5:50. I was suppose to run the first 9 miles at a 7:00 pace and the other 9 miles around 6:40. Once again I found it difficult to hold the pace back in the beginning (I'm glad I did, because when the sun came up it was hot and a little out of it). The rain came at mile 11 and lasted for 3 miles. At that point it didn't really matter. I was sweaty from the heat and the humidity. Then mile 15.5 I was done, but I was 2.5 miles from home, so there was only one way back - - - - run. Over all, the run was good, but I did take a few breaks to a.) get more water and b.) wring out my shirt which I should have ran without. I also took 3 gels (Mile 5, Mile 11 and Mile 15)

My splits were as follows:

Mile 1 - 7:09
Mile 2 - 7:02
Mile 3 - 7:02
Mile 4 - 7:05
Mile 5 - 6:57
Mile 6 - 6:54
Mile 7 - 6:51
Mile 8 - 6:59
Mile 9 -6:56

First 9 averaged 6:69 - - Right where I should have been.

Mile 10 -6:26 (felt good, but way too fast)
Mile 11 - 6:42 (Rain and knew I needed to slow it down)
Mile 12 - 6:38
Mile 13 - 6:58 (started to hit a little wall, so I told myself that I would split the second half into 2 runs and do the last 4.5 miles at a 7:00 pace)
Mile 13 to 13.5 - 6:29

Next 4.5 averaged 6:40 (Dead on, but inconsistent with the miles. Heat and humidity started to get me)

Mile 13.5 - 14.5 - 6:44
Mile 14.5 - 15.5 - 6:53
Mile 15.5 - 18 - I turned the watch off. I didn't want to worry about the pace anymore. Based on feel I was at a 7:00 to 7:15 pace.

Overall, the run wasn't bad, but it was a tough one. The legs weren't 100%, the weather sucked and I had to stop too many times to re-fill my water bottle and wring out my shirt. I guess 18 miles is 18 miles.

No comments: