Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Step, Step, Step - - ahhh, Dr. Phil

There is a scene in the movie Poltergeist where the mother, Diane, is trying to run down her hallway, towards her kids, but with each step isn’t making any ground. Then finally she reaches her childrens bedroom only to be met with some unfriendly spirit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo-rGauO8Oc . Today’s run felt just like that particular scene; Running in place and not getting very far only to get to the end and finding out that there is still more work to be done.

Because of work obligations I ran a little bit later this afternoon, but had no motivation to take a step. Knowing that if I didn’t get out and run I wouldn’t run at all so I convinced myself to just start with no particular goal in mind, but bargained with myself to run on the treadmill. As far as motivating factors I would suggest that running on a treadmill is not a good way to motivate someone - - what was I thinking?

I mustered out 8 miles at a 6:58 pace and cursed myself at every step. You know it was a rough day when watching Dr. Phil was the most enjoyable point of the run.

No comments: