Saturday, February 7, 2009

Friday and Saturday updates

Friday was a busy day at work, so I didn't get to run until 3:45. Because of the time I stayed inside and ran 8 miles on the treadmill. I ran the miles as follows:

Mile 1 - 9.0 mph (6:40)
Mile 2 - 9.3 mph (6:27)
Mile 3 - 9.0 mph (6:40)
Mile 4 - 9.3 mph (6:27)
Mile 5 - 9.0 mph (6:40)
Mile 6 - 9.3 mph (6:27)
Mile 7 - 9.0 mph (6:40)
Mile 8 - 9.3 mph (6:27)

I felt really good and the leg turn over was right where I wanted it to be. This was encouraging coming into today's run as the weather was in the 50's.

So today I ran a little later in the day (left at 4:00), so I had to strap on my night time garb even though the sun was still up (luckily I wore my tights - - almost went with shorts. It was pretty sloppy out there and when the sun went down it got a little chilly). I originally wanted to keep the pace around 7:00 minute miles, but after the first mile I looked down at my watch - - - - yeah, I covered the first mile in 6:25. It took me a little more than a mile to find my stride, but after I found it things clicked pretty well. I had an idea on where I was going to run, but when I got to mile 8 I decided to add an extra 2 miles before heading home; which was 2 miles away.

After mile 10 I reset my watch and decided to dial it back a little. I had covered the first 10 miles averaging 6:27 and knew the next two miles would be a little more tough as there are some big hills leading back into my neighborhood. Even with dialing it back I still covered the last two miles averaging 6:45.

So overall I've had a few days of good and productive running. I could have gone faster today, but I have to remind myself that I'm not racing - - - - I'm suppose to be "training". I shouldn't have gone this fast today, but sometimes you just need to go with how you feel. I know when I start my official training I will dial back my pace on the longer runs. I do have to say it's encouraging covering 12 miles averaging 6:37ish on some hilly terrain and still feeling like I have a lot more to give.

I do have to say I'm a little disappointed with my miles this week. Not where I wanted to be, but I needed a day off this week. My race last Sunday took a little more out of me than what I thought. I feel good, physically, but my daughter has been running a 101 temp with a nasty cough. Maybe laying off earlier this week has saved me from getting sick; hmmmmmmm.

Miles this week - 44
Miles this month - 44
Miles this year - 285
Days thus far in the month - 7
Days ran this month - 6
Days off this month - 1

No comments: