Monday, August 15, 2011

My 4 weeks are up

Yesterday's run was the last "formal" run prepared for me by Matt Thull and Thunderdome running (thunderdomerunning.com). All I can say about the 4 week schedule is WOW!!!!! What Matt was able to put down and paper and all the follow-up he had done has left me totally impressed - - - Well worth the time, effort and money.

Last nights run was a 10 mile effort. What was suppose to be a "normal" run, turned into a little bit of a "fun" run. I decided to not only pick up the pace, but I decided to run a little faster on the hill portion of my run.

I'm going off of memory, but the first 5 miles I averaged a 6:40 pace. The hills came at miles 4, 5 and 6 and were all 1/2 mile long hills. Those splits were 6:28, 6:32 and 6:28. It felt good going faster up the hills than down the hills. It was also good from a mental standpoint knowing that things were clicking.

On the second 1/2 of my run I don't recall what my average split time was, but I know I dialed it back a bit. Mile 7 was a 6:39, mile 8 was 6:45 and mile 9 was a 6:48. I then turned my watch off and did my last mile as a cool down. The legs felt great during the run and feel pretty good today.

So the next two weeks will be a mini-taper. I wont be able to run tonight because of family obligations (I have the kids as Tanya is traveling), but for the rest of the week I plan on running 8 on Tuesday, 6 on Wednesday (faster miles), 8 on Thursday (Recovery), Friday will be an off day (48 for the week). Then Saturday will be 13, Sunday an easy 10, Monday off, Tuesday easy 8, Wednesday, 4, Thursday 6, Friday off and then race day on Saturday.

Feeling good right about now.

No comments: