Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Tuesday's Effort

For Tuesday I was slatted to run 10 miles at a "normal" pace. Because of when I run (evening time), some times those life events creep into my running schedule. Those life events were mowing the lawn, voting, spending time with the family and going on a walk with my wife.

So before my run I voted and mowed the lawn, which usually takes me an hour or so. I don't use the self propelled option, so I get it done in a little less time.

After mowing, I grilled the chicken and ate dinner. After eating I went right into my run. We are blessed to have great grandparents who watch at least one child on Tuesday (On Wednesday they don't go to daycare and spend the day with their Oma and Opa). So my run was going to be my 5 mile route to their house, say goodnight to the kids and then head home. As I walked out the door I knew it was going to be a faster run. The legs felt great, the breathing was on and the weather was perfect. I covered the first 5 miles in 6:34 - - - - Faster than what it should be, but it felt very controlled.

At that point I realized both kids were staying at Tanya's parents house and Tanya wanted to go walk, so I originally had it in my mind that I would get my other 5 miles in and walk with her. I headed back, still feeling great, but the sun was going down and I didn't have my night gear on (red flashing light that I clip to my shorts so cars can see me). I was wearing lighter colored clothes, but I always get a little uncomfortable running at dusk without some sort of light. So I took the 4 mile route home and told myself that if Tanya was home I would stop and walk with her. If she had already left I'd go find her and if she wasn't home yet, but close I wouldn't do the last mile and just walk with her.

When I got home (6:38 pace for the last 4) I was feeling great. I knew that I blew my targeted pace, but was on that runners high. I called Tanya to see where she was at and she was close to home. So I was done running after 9 miles (one short of the target), but I did get 2 good miles in of walking. Our walk was great that allowed us to talk and just catch up. Not only did it help me stretch out the legs, it allowed Tanya and I to enjoy each others company.

Tonight's speed workout should be interesting. The legs feel great, but I hope I didn't blow things by going to fast last night. I guess we'll see today. What I do know, though, is after this week I have two weeks left. I know I've said this before, but those last two weeks I'm really going to stay focused on my pace and 100% make sure that I dial it back to where I need be; no matter how good I feel. No need to blow a fast time in a training run - - - I'll save that for race day.

No comments: