Monday, August 1, 2011

Weekend Life

One of my biggest issues now that I'm in the throws of my marathon training is trying to balance my family life with my running life. Balancing two kids and my wife sometimes doesn't mesh with my running life. Sunday was a good testament to this.

So I don't write a novel on this I'll give the high-level overview. The family woke up and decided to go on a hike at Pike Lake. A hike for us means me strapping on the child carrier back-pack and lugging around our 25 pound 10 month old son. 1.5 miles and several hills later we were at the beach and splashing around with our 4 year old and 10 month old.

Then in the mid afternoon we decided to go to German Fest. A beer, some dancing and a lot of walking around it was time to go home and do an 11 mile run. Not what I really wanted to do, especially since it was hot as hell and humid all day, but I needed to get it in.

The run was only suppose to be a "easy" effort between a 7:00 and a 7:15 pace. I held it pretty good in the beginning miles, but saw that I started to pick up the pace between miles 4 and 8. I had to do a lot of convincing to keep it slow. The legs felt good, just the heat and humidity started to get to me. Because of that I bailed at 10 miles (7:06 average pace) and called it a day. My rational was all the walking during the day. Not a good excuse, but it was good enough to get me to stop. It also didn't help that by the time I was done it was almost 10:30 in the evening.

So hence my problem - - - balancing my life with my running life - - - - not always the easiest thing to do.

Tonight - - 10 miles. I will have to force myself to get out the door and do an out-and-back route. This way there are no excuses for not getting the miles in.

No comments: