Friday, July 20, 2012

That one got the blood pumping

So Thursday's run was suppose to be 11 miles:
  • 3 mile warm up
  • 2.5 miles at 615-620 pace
  • ½ mile jog for rest.
  • 1.5 miles at 555-600 pace,
  • ½ mile jog for rest.
  • ½ mile at 540-545 pace.
  • 2.5 miles CD 
But I ended up with 10 1/2.  I stayed inside today as it was raining, so I wrote down what I was suppose to run.  I didn't write down the 1/2 mile job between the 1.5 miles at 5:55/6:00 pace and the 1/2 mile at a 5:40/5:45 pace.  Whoops.

What I ended up doing was the following:

  • 3 mile warm up at 8:00 pace
  • 2.5 miles at 6:18 pace.  The legs felt a little sluggish in the beginning, but come mile 1.5 I finally felt comfortable
  • ½ mile at 8:00 pace.  Legs thanked me for the slower pace
  • 1.5 miles at a 6:00 pace.  The first 1.25 miles was good, but I was getting tired towards the end.  I stopped at 1.45 miles to mentally prepare myself for the next 1/2 mile 
  • ½ mile at a 5:39 pace.  I felt great.  I was going a little fast, but knowing that it was only for a 1/2 mile there was no stopping me.  I thought about going faster or keeping it going for another 1/2 mile, but figured I better stick to the place.
  • 2.5 miles at 8:00 pace
When I finished I took a shower and stretched for 20 or so minutes.  The legs haven't gone fast in awhile, so it was nice picking it up.  They also adjusted well to the slower paced and by the end of the evening thanked me.  Waking up this morning there were no aches or pains.  I don't know if that is attributed to the 8:00 miles thrown in there or the stretching.  I'm thinking it's a little of both.


No comments: