Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Back at it

Today I finally felt well enough to get back to running. Only 3 days off which, in the grand scheme of things, was probably a well needed rest. Yesterday I went to the gym and did 10 minutes of biking, 10 minutes of the Elliptical machine and a half mile of running. The toe was a little sore, but not too bad. So with the pain drastically reduced I decided to run today. I stayed inside and hit the treadmill not only because of the threat of rain, but it’s less pounding on the joints. I still want to get some miles in, but not want to cause another flare-up. With my new shoes in tow I did a nice and easy 8 mile run trying to concentrate on striking with my heal and not my forefoot (Thanks for badgering me Jerry). I alternated between 6:58 and 6:44 miles. I felt a little tired during the overall run, but it was a nice easy pace. Now let’s hope the toe holds up. The plan of attack for the rest of the week (Wednesday and Thursday) is to stay inside and hit 8 miles around the same pace as I did today. Then come Friday it’s relay/race day. I believe I’m running the second leg of the race which breaks down to a 6.22, 4.81, 4.0 and 8.22 mile legs for a total of 23.25 miles. In trying to estimate the times that I’ll be running I came up with 4:31pm for the first leg, 10:19pm for the second leg, 4:33am for the third leg and 10:48am for the fourth leg. Now there is some variance of time depending on how the other 10 people run their race, but this is a rough estimate.

No comments: