Yesterday’s run (Tuesday) brought me to a place where I haven’t gone in awhile. It brought me back to my “thinking” state which invoked a whole slew of emotions, the meaning of my running and how I got where I am today. I guess running 8 miles on the treadmill at a 6:40 pace will do that to you.
My “deep thought” run was sparked by a conversation I had with Tanya right before I got to the gym. She mentioned that we received a Christmas card from the Jenovai’s. For those of you who don’t know or remember, Gary Jenovai was the gentleman who I performed CPR on in March of 2008 (http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/29566149.html). His card was a nice surprise and had a really heartwarming note saying “Thank You for allowing me to spend another Christmas with my family”. This one little note triggered a flood of emotions that brought me back to the 8th grade and how our lives and specific moments in time actually affect you later on in life.
The reoccurring theme that was mentioned during a gathering of everyone involved with saving the life of Mr. Jenovai was that without the “chain of survival” his chances of living drastically decreased. The “chain of survival” with this circumstance began with the family donating the defibrillator, to my CPR training, to the snow storm the night before, to our decision to run at the Pettit Center versus outside, etc, etc, etc . . . But as I reflect on all of this, the “chain of survival” really began back in the 8th grade.
In the 8th grade every student at my middle school was made to run a mile for gym class. Running was never something I considered, but when I ran this mile and finished in second place I started to second guess this though. “Was running something I could actually be good at?” With this new confidence I went out for the track team.
At this stage in my life, running was more of a social aspect. I don’t recall much from my 8th grade years, but what I do remember is the high-school cross country coach (Mr. Wiemer) coming to the city conference meet. Now, from a running ability, I was always a little better than most, but never at the top level. I wasn’t the worst, but I wasn’t the fastest. So I was taken aback when Mr. Wiemer asked me if I ever considered running cross country. Cross Country, at this point, wasn’t even an option. My goal was to try out for the football team. Hell, I didn’t know an 8th grade boy who didn’t want to play football. But I took a step back and realized I’ve never played on an organized football team (the neighborhood pick-up games didn’t count) and the chances of me making the team were far-and-few between. So with that the “chain of survival” began; I went out for cross country team.
Now I could write a whole novel on my High School cross country experiences, but I’ll save that for another day. What I will write about is my coach; Mr. Wiemer. Little did I know that the dedication that Mr. Wiemer had for us would leave an ever lasting impression. As I learn more of this sport and the fundamentals I don’t know if his coaching approach was the best for me, but his approach for the sport and life has propelled and defined me to the runner and person that I am today. His encouragement allowed me to take my running to the next level. So, if you really look at it, Mr. Wiemer’s dedication to me and to running was the second stage of Mr. Jenovai’s “chain of survival”. Mr. Wiemer introduced me to a sport that I hold close to my heart and cherish daily. He instilled in me the dedication and long lasting benefits that running offers; not just the medals that came along with running in a meet. But more importantly, Mr. Wiemer introduced me to a sport that defines who I am. Through my troubled times I’ve leaned on running as my therapy. Without Mr. Wiemer and running I don’t know if I’d be the same person I am today. So not only did Mr. Wiemer help with Mr. Jenovai’s “chain of survival” he assisted me in my “chain of survival”.
The third link in Mr. Jenovai’s “chain of survival” is really dedicated to Jerry Cameron. Little does he know (or maybe he does), he brought me back to the sport of running. Prior to him working with me at AIG I was a “casual” runner. I may have run 20 or 30 miles a week, but hadn’t raced since college. And even then, there were pockets in my running career where I would take a year off, work out at the gym and then come back as a casual “runner”. When Jerry got transferred down to the MOC I had already known he was an avid marathon runner. Having him sit two cubes away allowed me to gain the courage and inspiration to run my first marathon. I went from running 20 or 30 miles a week, to running 40 or 50 a week. Jerry’s story, his 20 marathons and several ultra marathons, ignited the passion I have today. Because of Jerry I am now:
1.) Running 50 to 60 miles a week
2.) Ran 2500 miles in 2009
3.) Ran 5 marathons to date with two more scheduled in 2010
4.) Qualified for Boston 3 times (2 in 2009)
5.) Won a few 5K races in 2009 (under 17 minutes)
6.) Ran my fastest Marathon in 2:46
7.) And was running at the Pettit with him which allowed for me to be a part of Mr. Jenovai’s “chain of survival”
Then we have the final “chain of survival” for Mr. Jenovai. For that I have to say that’s for Tanya. If it wasn’t for her I wouldn’t have the desire to be who I am. She allows me to be the runner that I am and to chase my dream; that dream of being a runner.
But none of this could be possible if I didn’t have InStep and Chris supporting my habit. Since 2009 I’ve been running for the InStep team. They have allowed me to build upon my current running base and have provided me a desire to run more on the racing scene. Chris’s dedication and desire to run is awe inspiring and I hope that I, one day, can truly have the passion that he has for the sport of running.
The so what of this blog entry is to remember that no matter what happens today, you don’t always have to understand the why. Who would have known that by Mr. Wiemer sparking and introducing a love and a passion for running that I would one day use that to save another man’s life.
Mr. Wiemer, Jerry Chris and Tanya - - Thank you for being my “chain of survival”.
Miles this week - 42
Miles this month - 279.5
Miles this year - 2,501.9
Miles in the month of January - 241 (Average 7.77 miles per day)
Miles in the month of February - 205.5 (Average 7.34 miles per day)
Miles in the month of March - 267 (Average 8.61 miles per day)
Miles in the month of April - 271.7 (Average 9.06 miles per day)
Miles in the month of May - 190.3 (Average 6.14 miles per day - Marathon month)
Miles in the month of June - 211.7 (Average 7.06 miles per day)
Miles in the month of July - 248.5 (Average 8.02 miles per day)
Miles in the month of August - 86.5 (Average 2.79 miles per day - Achilles)
Miles in the month of September - 139 (Average 4.63 miles per day - 1/2 month with Achilles)
Miles in the month of October - 161.7 (Average 5.22 miles per day - Marathon month and trip)
Miles in the month of November - 199.5 (Average 6.65 miles per day)
Miles in the month of December - 279.5 (Average 9.02 miles per day)
No comments:
Post a Comment